CHAPTER 137. USE OF THE STATE LIBRARY
137.1. Purpose of the State Library.
The provisions of this Chapter 137 issued under sections 201, 415, 426 and 427 of The Library Code (24 P.S. § § 4201 and 44154427) (Repealed; replaced by 24 Pa.C.S. Chapter 93 (relating to Public Library Code)), unless otherwise noted.
The provisions of this Chapter 137 adopted September 9, 1968, unless otherwise noted.
§ 137.1. Purpose of the State Library.
The purpose of the State Library is to provide information and foster continuing education by:
(1) Making available all library materials of the State Library for use by libraries, agencies of State and local government and to the public generally.
(2) Coordinating a statewide system of local libraries.
(3) Providing advice and counsel to local libraries, district library centers, and regional resource centers, municipalities and groups on the development and improvement of library service.
(4) Inspecting local libraries, district library centers and regional resource centers.
§ 137.2. Penalties.
Penalties for the nonreturn, loss or damage of library materials borrowed from the State Library will be as follows:
(1) Overdue library materials. The State Librarian may levy a penalty of up to 10¢ for each day a book, phonograph record album, or other piece of library materials is not returned by a library borrower after the book, record album, or other piece is due to be returned. The total penalty per item will not exceed $10. The State Librarian will determine in which divisions or sections of the State Library such penalties will be levied, and will draw up such additional rules as may be necessary to enforce this paragraph.
(2) Lost library materials. The State Librarian shall collect from library borrowers who lose materials a sum of money sufficient to reimburse the Commonwealth for such loss, the amount to be determined by the cost of replacing the lost material.
(3) Replacement of library materials. In the event of lost or damaged library materials, the State Librarian may require that the borrower provide replacement copy or suitable substitute copy. Such replacement or substitution copy shall be determined by the State Librarian.
(4) Failure to pay. Failure on the part of State Library borrowers to pay required penalties shall result in loss of borrowing privileges until such time as penalties are paid. The State Librarian may develop such additional guidelines for enforcing this provision as may become necessary.
The provisions of this § 137.2 issued under section 201(2), (9) and (15) of The Library Code (24 P.S. § 4201(2), (9) and (15)) (Repealed; replaced by 24 Pa.C.S. Chapter 93 (relating to Public Library Code)).
The provisions of this § 137.2 amended December 30, 1982, effective January 1, 1983, 13 Pa.B. 16.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.