§ 33.401. Credit-hour requirements.
(a) An applicant shall complete the following continuing education credit hours during the preceding biennial period:
(1) Dentists30 hours.
(2) Dental hygienists20 hours.
(3) Expanded function dental assistants10 hours.
(b) The required hours shall be taken in the subject areas listed in § 33.402 (relating to continuing education subject areas) from a program sponsor listed in § 33.403 (relating to program sponsors).
(c) At least 50% of the required credit hours shall be taken in lecture or clinical presentations.
(d) A maximum of 50% of the required credit hours, listed in § 33.402, may be taken through individual study, serving as an instructor or author of a book, article or continuing education program.
(1) Instructors will be awarded two additional credit hours as preparation time for each credit hour of instruction, and for actual instruction, up to 50% of the required hours. Additional credit hours for instructors are subject to the limitations of subsection (e).
(2) Authors will be awarded 50% of the required hours for articles published in a peer-reviewed professional journal.
(e) Credit will not be awarded for repeating a program in the same renewal period unless the subject matter has substantially changed during that period.
(f) A licensee or certificate holder suspended for disciplinary reasons is not exempt from the continuing education requirements in subsection (a).
(g) Exceptions are as follows:
(1) An applicant is exempt from the continuing education requirement in subsection (a) for only the biennial period during which the applicant passed the licensure or certification examination.
(2) An applicant who cannot meet the continuing education requirement due to illness, emergency or hardship may apply to the Board in writing for a waiver. The request shall explain why compliance is impossible. Waiver requests will be evaluated by the Board on a case-by-case basis.
This section cited in 49 Pa. Code § 33.336a (relating to requirements for unrestricted permit and restricted permit I); and 49 Pa. Code § 33.341 (relating to duties of dentists who are not permitholders).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.