§ 33.402. Continuing education subject areas.
(a) Except as provided in subsections (c)(e), the required credit hours shall be completed in subjects which contribute directly to the maintenance of clinical competence of a dentist, dental hygienist, public health dental hygiene practitioner or expanded function dental assistant. Examples of acceptable subjects include:
(1) Diagnosis and treatment of oral pathosis.
(2) Clinical and technological subjects.
(3) Emergency procedures excluding hours required for cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification.
(4) Infection control.
(5) Abuse and neglect.
(6) Medical and scientific subjects.
(7) Laws and regulations pertaining to dentists, dental hygienists and expanded function dental assistants.
(b) Credit hours will not be awarded in nonclinical subjects, including:
(2) Office management.
(3) Practice building.
(4) Insurance reimbursement.
(5) Communication skills, except as provided in subsection (c).
(c) A dental hygienist may complete no more than three of the required 20 hours of continuing education in courses relating to communication skills.
(d) A public health dental hygiene practitioner shall complete five of the required 20 hours of continuing education in public health-related courses.
(e) A school dental hygienist who is certified as a public health dental hygiene practitioner and who, as a certified educational specialist is required to obtain continuing professional education under the act and under section 1205.2 of the Public School Code of 1949 (24 P. S. § 12-1205.2) may submit evidence of the completion of education courses approved for certification by the school district to meet the 20-hour continuing education requirement.
(f) A dental hygienist who holds a local anesthesia permit shall complete 3 of the required 20 hours of continuing education in courses related to the administration of local anesthesia, including pharmacology or other related courses.
(g) Expanded function dental assistants shall comply with the following:
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), expanded function dental assistants shall complete 3 of the 10 required hours of continuing education in the area of coronal polishing as follows:
(i) Unless an exemption applies, an expanded function dental assistant certified by the Board by March 31, 2011, shall complete the 3 hours of continuing education in the area of coronal polishing as a condition of renewal for the biennial period which begins on April 1, 2013.
(ii) Unless an exemption applies, an expanded function dental assistant certified by the Board after March 31, 2011, shall complete the 3 hours of continuing education in the area of coronal polishing as a condition of renewal for the first complete biennial renewal period after initial certification.
(2) The following expanded function dental assistants are exempt from the requirement to complete 3 hours of continuing education in coronal polishing in paragraph (1):
(i) Expanded function dental assistants who are also licensed as dental hygienists.
(ii) Expanded function dental assistants who can document that they have completed coursework including coronal polishing as part of their education at a Board-approved EFDA education program at any time after June 28, 2010.
(iii) Expanded function dental assistants who can document that they have completed a course in coronal polishing of at least 3 hours offered by an approved program sponsor at any time after June 28, 2010.
(3) The requirements of this subsection may not be met through video, online or distance education, but shall be completed by physical attendance at a hands-on clinical training course offered by an approved program sponsor or an approved EFDA education program.
The provisions of this § 33.402 amended under section 3 of The Dental Law (63 P. S. § 122; and section 4 of the act of April 29, 2010 (P. L. 176, No. 19).
The provisions of this § 33.402 amended December 11, 2009, effective December 12, 2009, 39 Pa.B. 6982; amended September 7, 2012, effective September 8, 2012, 42 Pa.B. 5736. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (346674) to (346675).
The provisions of this § 33.401 (relating to credit-hour requirements).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.