§ 3270.241. Requirements specific to school-age programs.
(a) If a child is required to be enrolled in public or private school under the Public School Code of 1949 (24 P. S. § § 1-10127-2702) and if the child is not enrolled and if the child is not exempted from enrollment under the Public School Code, a child day care facility may not admit the child for care during the hours when the child is required by law to attend public or private school.
(b) A facility or a space in a facility in which care is provided exclusively to school-age children shall comply only with the following sections:
(1) General provisions. Sections 3270.13270.4 (relating to general provisions).
(2) General requirements. Sections 3270.113270.27 (relating to general requirements).
(3) Staff persons and volunteers. Sections 3270.31, 3270.32 and 3270.33(a), (b) and (d) (relating to age and training; suitability of persons in the facility; and general requirements for facility persons). Special requirements for director, group supervisor and assistant group supervisor are set forth in subsection (c).
(4) Staff-child ratio. Sections 3270.51, 3270.53 and 3270.54 (relating to similar age level; children of an operator or a staff person; and minimum number of facility persons in the child care facility).
(5) Physical site.
(i) Physical site requirements do not apply for a school-age program located in a school building that is under section 776.1 of the Public School Code of 1949 (24 P. S. § 7-776.1); specifically, a program operated for school-age children in a public or private school building, a building used by an intermediate unit, or an area vocational-technical school building which meets the physical site requirements acceptable to the Department of Education.
(ii) A school-age program not located in a school building referenced in subparagraph (i) must comply with requirements in § § 3270.61, 3270.62, 3270.64, 3270.67, 3270.69, 3270.72(a), 3270.73, 3270.74, 3270.76, 3270.78, 3270.79 and 3270.82(a), (b) and (h).
(6) Fire safety. Sections 3270.91(a), 3270.923270.94 (relating to fire safety).
(7) Equipment. Sections 3270.101, 3270.102(a)(c) and (g), 3270.104, 3270.107 and 3270.108.
(8) Program. Sections 3270.111, 3270.113, 3270.115(a) and (b), 3270.116 and 3270.118.
(9) Procedures for admission. Sections 3270.1213270.124 (relating to procedures for admission). When a school-age child attends the facility 15 hours or less per week, the operator is not required to complete the Departments approved form to provide information to the family about the childs growth and development in the context of the services being provided referenced in § 3270.124(a)(3).
(10) Child health. Sections 3270.1313270.134(a) and 3270.1363270.138. An equivalent health report completed by a school is acceptable as documentation of child health for a school-age child.
(11) Adult health. Sections 3270.1513270.154(a) and 3270.155.
(i) In a facility operating a school-age program for fewer than 4 consecutive hours, none of the nutrition requirements applies.
(ii) If a program operates for 4 or more consecutive hours or if a program provides meals or snacks, the facility director shall comply with § § 3270.1613270.165.
(i) A facility is exempt from transportation requirements when children attending care at the facility are transported in vehicles owned and operated by the school district in which the facility is located.
(ii) A facility not operating under the provisions referenced in subparagraph (i) shall comply with § § 3270.1713270.178 (relating to transportation).
(14) Child records. Sections 3270.1813270.185 (relating to child records).
(15) Adult records. Sections 3270.1913270.193 (relating to adult records).
(16) Special exemptions. Sections 3270.2313270.233 (relating to staff qualifications; indoor and outdoor space and capacity; and play surfaces).
(17) Telephone. Staff persons shall have immediate access to a working telephone on the facility premises. If a land-line telephone is not accessible to staff persons during the hours of facility operation, a wireless telephone is acceptable.
(c) Special requirements for staff persons in school-age programs or in school-age spaces.
(i) In a program operating 30 or fewer hours a week, a director or director/group supervisor shall be present at a facility as required at § 3270.34 (relating to director qualifications and responsibilities) at least 20% of the programs operational hours.
(ii) In a program operating 31 to 45 hours a week, a director or director/group supervisor shall be present at a facility site at least 35% of the programs operational hours.
(iii) In a program operating 46 or more hours a week, a director or director/group supervisor shall be present at a facility site as described at § 3270.34(c) and (d).
(iv) A responsible designee shall be appointed by a director as described at § 3270.34.
(2) Group supervisor. In a program in which 46 or more school-age children are enrolled, a group supervisor shall be present at a facility site as described at § 3270.35 (relating to group supervisor qualifications and responsibilities).
(3) Assistant group supervisor.
(i) In a program in which 45 or fewer school-age children are enrolled, assistant group supervisors shall be present at a facility site during the programs operational hours.
(ii) In a program in which 45 or fewer school-age children are enrolled, one assistant group supervisor is required to be present at a facility site for each group of 12 young school-age or 15 older school-age children in attendance.
(iii) In a program of 45 or fewer enrolled children, an assistant group supervisor is responsible for the following minimum duties:
(A) Planning and implementing, with the director, daily program activities.
(B) Coordinating activities with other assistant group supervisors.
(C) Assisting the director as needed.
(4) Aides. In a program in which 46 or more school-age children are enrolled, the responsibility of an aide is described at § 3270.37 (relating to aide qualifications and responsibilities).
The provisions of this § 3270.241 amended under Articles IX and X of the Public Welfare Code (62 P. S. § § 901922 and 10011087).
The provisions of this § 3270.241 amended May 23, 2008, effective September 22, 2008, 38 Pa.B. 2437. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (204593) to (204596).
This section cited in 55 Pa. Code § 3270.3 (relating to applicability); and 55 Pa. Code § 3270.172 (relating to consent).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.