§ 3700.64. Assessment of foster parent capability.
(a) The FFCA shall consider the following when assessing the ability of applicants for approval as foster parents:
(1) The ability to provide care, nurturing and supervision to children.
(2) A demonstrated stable mental and emotional adjustment. If there is a question regarding the mental or emotional stability of a family member which might have a negative effect on a foster child, the FFCA shall require a psychological evaluation of that person before approving the foster family home.
(3) Supportive community ties with family, friends and neighbors.
(b) In making a determination in relation to subsection (a) the FFCA shall consider:
(1) Existing family relationships, attitudes and expectations regarding the applicants own children and parent/child relationships, especially as they might affect a foster child.
(2) Ability of the applicant to accept a foster childs relationship with his own parents.
(3) The applicants ability to care for children with special needs, such as physical handicaps and emotional disturbances.
(4) Number and characteristics of foster children best suited to the foster family.
(5) Ability of the applicant to work in partnership with an FFCA.
Notes of Decisions
Foster Parent Capability
The Department regulations addressing the inspection and approval of the home custodian reach concerns ranging from the assurances that the drinking water is potable, § 3700.67(h) (relating to safety requirements), and that the intended custodian is physically able to care for the child, § 3700.63 (relating to foster parent discipline policy), to the assurance that the custodian is apprised of the approved policy with regard to the discipline of the child, § 3700.63. In re Lowry, 484 A.2d 383 (Pa. 1984).
In approving a foster home, the agency must consider, among other factors, the would-be foster parents ability to cooperate with the agency and to accept the relationship between the child and the childs parents. In Re Adoption of Crystal D.R., 480 A.2d 1146 (Pa. Super. 1984).
This section cited in 55 Pa. Code § 3700.69 (relating to annual reevaluation); and 55 Pa. Code § 3700.70 (relating to temporary and provisional approvals of foster families).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.