CHAPTER 17. AUTHORIZATION TO VERIFY
17.3. Authorized persons.
The provisions of this Chapter 17 issued under the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § § 1103(e) and 6103, unless otherwise noted.
The provisions of this Chapter 17 adopted August 12, 1977, effective August 13, 1977, 7 Pa.B. 2254, unless otherwise noted.
§ 17.1. Purpose.
The purpose of this chapter is to designate those persons who are authorized to verify the vehicle identification number of a vehicle in connection with an application for certificate of title where it is impossible to obtain either a legible tracing or a photograph of the vehicle identification number, as required by 75 Pa.C.S. § 1103(e) (relating to application for certificate of title).
§ 17.2. Applicability.
Verification shall be required in the following situations when it is impossible to obtain a legible tracing or photograph of the vehicle identification number:
(1) When a Pennsylvania resident acquires a new or used vehicle from a nonresident for use in this Commonwealth.
(2) When a nonresident brings into this Commonwealth, in connection with establishing a Pennsylvania residence, a vehicle previously titled or registered in another state or country.
(3) When the application for initial certificate of title is for a truck, truck-tractor, or motor home, regardless of source of ownership.
§ 17.3. Authorized persons.
The following persons shall be authorized to inspect and verify that the vehicle identification number conforms with the description given in the application:
(1) A certified Pennsylvania inspection station mechanic.
(2) A notary public employed by one of the following:
(i) A person to whom manufacturer or dealer registration plates have been issued under 75 Pa.C.S. § 1335 (relating to registration plates for manufacturers and dealers).
(ii) An authorized full agent, as defined in Chapter 43 (relating to temporary registration cards and plates).
(3) If the vehicle is located outside of this Commonwealth one of the following:
(i) A police officer.
(ii) A mechanic employed by a dealer.
(iii) An armed forces installation provost marshal or motor officer.
The provisions of this § 17.3 amended August 16, 1985, effective August 17, 1985, 15 Pa.B. 2936. Immediately preceding text appears at serial page (90190).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.