CHAPTER 443. ROADSIDE REST AREAS
443.1. Purpose and policy.
443.2. Prohibited activities or actions.
443.3. Additional prohibited activities or actions on noninterstate highways.
The provisions of this Chapter 443 issued under section 8 of the act of June 7, 1961 (P. L. 257, No. 151) (36 P. S. § 478.18), unless otherwise noted.
The provisions of this Chapter 443 adopted April 28, 1972, effective April 29, 1972, 2 Pa.B. 766, unless otherwise noted.
§ 443.1. Purpose and policy.
This chapter is promulgated for the purpose of providing comfortable, convenience, clean, attractive and safe places for the general motoring public and to set forth rules to insure the maximum comfort, convenience, cleanliness, health and safety of those members of the general public using the facilities.
The provisions of this § 443.1 adopted April 28, 1972, effective April 29, 1972, 2 Pa.B. 766.
§ 443.2. Prohibited activities or actions.
The following specified activities or actions shall be prohibited in roadside rest areas:
(1) Driving or parking of a vehicle in areas other than those provided.
(2) Parking or standing of a vehicle for more than 2 hours in a single 24-hour period or in excess of the posted time limit.
(3) Defacing or damaging buildings or other facilities.
(4) Igniting or maintaining fires for heating or cooking equipment, except in areas or facilities designed for the purpose.
(5) Depositing or disposing of refuse or waste, except picnic waste and contents of vehicle litter bags, which shall be deposited only in areas or containers provided therefor. Disposing of camping or household refuse in this area is prohibited.
(6) Consumption of alcoholic beverages.
(7) Discharging or shooting of firearms or bows and arrows, and hunting or fishing.
(8) Maintenance or repairing of vehiclesoil changes, filter replacements, draining of coolants, washing vehicles, motor disassembly or assembly and the likeexcept in emergencies.
(9) Release of pets. Animals on leashes shall be permitted only in areas designated as pet area.
(10) Picking, breaking, damaging or abuse of plants or vegetation or parts thereof.
(11) Use of the area or facilities for bathing or washing of garments or clothing.
(12) Sale of a product or conduct of other commercial activity, except in emergencies.
(13) Driving a motor vehicle in excess of 25 miles per hour, except on entrance or exit ramps.
(14) Use of the area or facilities when closed for the season.
(15) Engaging in loud, boisterous or abusive conduct or engaging in or soliciting lewd or lascivious conduct, including, but not limited to, sexual intercourse, indecent exposure, open lewdness or prostitution.
The provisions of this § 443.2 adopted April 28, 1972, effective April 29, 1972, 2 Pa.B. 766; amended April 28, 1978, effective April 29, 1978, 8 Pa.B. 1193; amended January 18, 1980, effective January 19, 1980, 10 Pa.B. 218; amended September 17, 1982, effective September 18, 1982, 12 Pa.B. 3296. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (63749) to (63750).
This section cited in 67 Pa. Code § 443.3 (relating to additional prohibited activities or actions on noninterstate highways).
§ 443.3. Additional prohibited activities or actions on noninterstate highways.
In addition to the activities prohibited in § 443.2 (relating to prohibited activities or actions), parking of commercial vehicles or the parking of a vehicle between dusk and dawn is prohibited in roadside rest areas along noninterstate highways.
The provisions of this § 443.3 adopted April 28, 1972, effective April 29, 1972, 2 Pa.B. 766.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.