CHAPTER 60. PERMANENT REGISTRATION OF
60.3. Eligibility criteria.
60.4. Application for permanent registration of fleet vehicles.
60.5. Changes in permanent vehicle fleets.
60.6. Temporary registration.
60.7. Payment procedures.
60.8. Registration credentials.
60.9. Vehicle marking.
60.10. Replacement of credentials.
60.11. Cancellation of the privilege to permanently register fleet vehicles.
The provisions of this Chapter 60 issued under the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § 1307.1, unless otherwise noted.
The provisions of this Chapter 60 adopted January 7, 1994, effective January 8, 1994, 24 Pa.B. 151, unless otherwise noted.
§ 60.1. Purpose.
This chapter establishes rules and procedures to implement permanent registration of fleet vehicles as authorized by 75 Pa.C.S. § 1307.1 (relating to permanent fleet registration).
§ 60.2. Definitions.
The following words and terms, when used in this chapter, have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
ApplicantA person, firm or corporation in whose name an application to permanently register a fleet of vehicles is filed.
BureauThe Bureau of Motor Vehicles of the Department.
CancelTo terminate by formal action of the Department a registration or privilege issued or granted under this chapter. The registration or privilege will not be restored except upon submission and acceptance of a new application.
CombinationTwo or more vehicles physically interconnected in tandem.
CredentialsA permanent registration card, permanent registration plate and permanent registration sticker.
DepartmentThe Department of Transportation, Bureau of Motor Vehicles, of the Commonwealth.
FleetOne hundred or more commercially operated vehicles owned or leased by one person, firm or corporation.
Gross weightThe combined weight of a vehicle or combination of vehicles and its load excluding the drivers weight.
Interstate operationVehicle movement between or through two or more jurisdictions.
Intrastate operationVehicle movement from one point within a jurisdiction where passengers or freight is loaded to another point within the same jurisdiction where passengers or freight is unloaded, regardless of the route traveled; that is, movement across state lines so long as vehicle ends up within the same state in which it started.
JurisdictionA state, territory or possession of the United States; the District of Columbia; or a Province of Canada.
RegistrantA person, firm or corporation in whose name a fleet of vehicles is permanently registered.
RegistrationThe authority for a vehicle to operate on a highway as evidenced by the issuance of an identifying card and plate.
Registration cardA card issued by the Department to the registrant for a vehicle registered as part of a permanent fleet containing the make and vehicle identification number of the vehicle, the vehicle registration plate number, the name and address of the registrant and other necessary information required by the Department.
Registration yearThe 12-month registration period for which the registration fees are calculated.
VehicleEvery device in, upon or by which a person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices used exclusively upon rails or tracks.
§ 60.3. Eligibility criteria.
Eligibility for permanent registration shall be limited to fleet vehicles registered in this Commonwealth, except that vehicles or combinations registered over 26,000 pounds gross weight will be eligible for permanent fleet registration if used only in intrastate operations. Vehicles or combinations with a registered gross weight of over 26,000 pounds and which are used in interstate commerce are not eligible for participation in the permanent registration of fleet vehicles program.
§ 60.4. Application for permanent registration of fleet vehicles.
(a) General rule. Application for permanent registration of a fleet of vehicles shall be made on a form furnished by the Bureau. Application for permanent registration of fleet vehicles may be made at the time of initial application for registration for vehicles that are not currently registered in this Commonwealth, or at least 2 months prior to the current vehicle expiration dates.
(b) Contents. The application shall contain the full name and address of the applicant, a description of each vehicle which is to be permanently registered and the requested annual expiration date. Changes to an existing permanent fleet may be made by notifying the Department at least 2 months prior to the expiration of the current fleet registration expiration.
(c) Ownership. To be permanently registered under this chapter, a vehicle shall be titled in this Commonwealth in the name of the owner or lessor of the vehicle.
(1) If a vehicle is not currently titled in this Commonwealth and the applicant wishes to apply for permanent registration for that vehicle, the applicant shall submit a completed application for Pennsylvania title, along with the application for permanent registration. The Pennsylvania title shall be approved before permanent registration will be allowed.
(2) Leased vehicles are eligible for permanent fleet registration, if the vehicles are titled in the lessors name and registered in the lessees name.
(d) Expiration. Expiration of fleet vehicles shall be as follows:
(1) Expirations occurring in the same month. The applicant shall select the month in which the registration of the permanent fleet will expire, consistent with Chapter 57 (relating to staggered registration).
(2) Expiration occurring in different months. The applicant may select different registration months for groups of vehicles within the permanent fleet if there are at least 100 eligible vehicles in each month selected. The applicant is limited to select expiration months for the applicants vehicle types consistent with Chapter 57.
§ 60.5. Changes in permanent vehicle fleets.
(a) Adding vehicles to fleet. Vehicles which are acquired by a registrant after the commencement of the registration year may be added to a permanently registered fleet by application to the Department on a form furnished by the Department.
(b) Withdrawal and replacement of vehicles from fleets. The following rules apply to the withdrawal and replacement of a vehicle from a permanently registered fleet:
(1) Vehicle withdrawn but not replaced. If a vehicle is withdrawn from a fleet during the period for which registration fees have been paid, and it is not replaced with another vehicle, the registrant shall, within 30 days, notify the Bureau on the appropriate form, and shall forward that notification along with the registration credentials to the Department. A refund will not be issued for time remaining on unexpired registration.
(2) Vehicle withdrawn but replaced. If a vehicle is withdrawn from a fleet during the period for which registration fees have been paid, and it is replaced with another vehicle, the registrant shall, within 30 days, notify the Bureau on the appropriate form. The registration transfer fee will be required as provided in § 60.12 (relating to fees). In addition, if the replacement vehicle registration fee is higher than that of the vehicle replaced, the additional prorated registration fee will also be required. The Department will issue a new registration card. The registrant is exempt from the requirement to return the registration plate as required under 75 Pa.C.S. § 1314(d) (relating to transfer of registration) if the replacement vehicle is a different type vehicle than that replaced.
(c) Withdrawal of fleet from permanent registration program. If a fleet is withdrawn from the permanent registration program during the period for which registration fees have been paid, the registrant shall, within 10 days, notify the Bureau on the appropriate form, and shall forward that notification along with all registration credentials to the Department.
§ 60.6. Temporary registration.
A temporary registration card and plate allowing an owner or lessee to operate a vehicle within the fleet may be obtained under Chapter 43 (relating to temporary registration cards and plates), during the period when an application for permanent registration is being processed.
§ 60.7. Payment procedures.
Upon the approval of an application for permanent registration, the Department will mail a billing notice to the registrant at the address shown on the application. The notice will contain a statement of the amount of the fees due the Commonwealth and a list of each vehicle identified on the application.
§ 60.8. Registration credentials.
(a) Issuance of plate and registration card. For each vehicle approved for permanent registration and for which payment of the necessary fees has been received, the Department will issue to the registrant the following:
(1) A registration plate.
(2) A permanent registration sticker.
(3) A permanent registration card containing the following information:
(i) The name and address of registrant.
(ii) The make and vehicle identification number of the vehicle.
(iii) The registration plate number.
(iv) Other information the Department may deem necessary.
(b) Display. Credentials issued by the Bureau shall be maintained or displayed as required by Chapter 47 (relating to display of registration plates). The registration plate shall be attached to the vehicle and the registration card carried in the vehicle no later than the first day of the registration year.
§ 60.9. Vehicle marking.
Every vehicle which is permanently registered under this chapter shall be marked as follows:
The name, trade mark or logo of the company shall be displayed on the left side of the vehicle in a color that is in sharp contrast to the background. The marking shall be legible during daylight from a distance of at least 50 feet.
§ 60.10. Replacement of credentials.
(a) Application. If a permanent registration plate, sticker or registration card is defaced, destroyed, lost or stolen, the registrant shall apply for a replacement on the appropriate form furnished by the Department, accompanied by the fee provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § § 1929 and 1932 (relating to replacement registration plates; and duplicate registration cards).
(b) Replacement of registration plate and sticker with transfer. Application for replacement of a lost, stolen, damaged or illegible registration plate or sticker may be made in conjunction with an application for transfer of registration to another vehicle, if both are accompanied by the registration card.
(c) Registration card. Application for replacement of a lost or stolen registration card may not be made in conjunction with an application for the transfer of the registration to another vehicle.
§ 60.11. Cancellation of the privilege to permanently register fleet vehicles.
(a) Cancellation of the privilege to maintain permanent fleet registration. Permanent fleet registration privileges may be cancelled by the Department for the following reasons:
(1) The registrant does not meet the requirements of this chapter.
(2) The registrant does not pay permanent fleet registration renewal fees.
(3) The registrant does not pay fees connected with issuance of certificate of title or registration.
(4) The registrant improperly uses a permanent plate, sticker or permanent registration card.
(5) Someone other than the registrant uses registration credentials.
(6) Someone other than the registrant operates the vehicle.
(7) The registrant falsely certifies information.
(8) The registrant dishonors a check tendered to the Department for fees required under this title or 75 Pa.C.S. (relating to the Vehicle Code).
(b) Return of credentials upon cancellation. Credentials shall be returned to the Department upon cancellation of permanent fleet registration by the Department. The registrant shall return the credentials by the date contained in the notice of cancellation.
(c) Replacement of annual registration credentials upon cancellation. The Bureau will issue annual registration credentials upon cancellation and return of the permanent fleet registration credentials, if the registrant meets the requirements for annual registration of the vehicles. The expiration of the annual registration will be based on each full month remaining on the unused portion of the paid permanent registration.
§ 60.12. Fees.
(a) Registration. The annual registration fee for a permanently registered vehicle will be assessed consistent with 75 Pa.C.S. § § 19111932 (relating to registration fees).
(b) Replacement of registration cards. The fee for replacement of a registration card is $3.
(c) Replacement of registration plate. The fee for replacement of a registration plate is $5.
(d) Establishing a vehicle in a permanent fleet. The fee for initially establishing a vehicle in a permanent fleet is $5, plus the applicable prorated registration fee.
(e) Transfer of registration. The fee for transferring registration from one vehicle to another vehicle within a permanent fleet is $4. For the purpose of this section, a fleet is a group of 100 or more vehicles with the same registration expiration which are assigned to the same permanent fleet.
(f) Transfer fee. The fee for transferring a vehicle from one of the registrants fleets to another of the registrants fleets is $4. For the purpose of this section, a fleet is a group of 100 or more vehicles with the same registration expiration which are assigned to the same permanent fleet.
This section cited in 67 Pa. Code § 60.5 (relating to changes in permanent vehicle fleets).
§ 60.13. Refunds.
(a) A refund in the appropriate amount will be paid to the registrant for fees paid to the Bureau as a result of one or more of the following:
(1) A Bureau billing error.
(2) A duplicate payment of registration fees for the same vehicle.
(3) A request for deletion of a vehicle from an original or renewal application if the request is received by the Bureau on or before the first day of the registration year.
(b) A refund will not be issued on the unused portion of the paid registration fees.
§ 60.14. Inspection.
Vehicles registered under this chapter are exempt from the requirement that the periodic annual safety inspection of the vehicle, which is required under 75 Pa.C.S. § 4702 (relating to requirement for periodic inspection of vehicles), be coordinated with the vehicle registration expiration, under 75 Pa.C.S. § 1307 (relating to period of registration). The registrant may determine the inspection expiration date of individual vehicles within the fleet which are subject to annual safety inspection. The inspection expiration date selected may not exceed 12 months from the date of the previous inspection of the vehicle. Vehicles registered under this chapter shall comply with the emission inspection requirements of 75 Pa.C.S. § 4702.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.