TANK REGISTRATION AND FEES
§ 245.41. Tank registration requirements.
(a) Tank owners shall properly register each storage tank by meeting the requirements in this section and paying the registration fee prior to registration certificate expiration as required by § 245.42 (relating to tank registration fees).
(b) Tank owners shall register each aboveground storage tank and each underground storage tank with the Department, except as specifically excluded by Department policy or this chapter, on a form provided by the Department, within 30 days after installation or acquisition of an ownership interest in the storage tank. Unless otherwise approved by the Department, a regulated substance may not be placed in the tank and the tank may not be operated until the tank is properly registered and the Department approves an operating permit for the tank.
(c) A form for registration of a storage tank must be complete upon submission to the Department and provide the following:
(1) Tank owner, operator, property owner and contact information.
(2) General facility, site and location information.
(3) Specific tank description and usage information, including regulated substance or substances that will be stored in each tank.
(4) Specific tank construction, system components and installation information.
(5) Owners certification validating the registration information and operating permit application.
(6) Certified tank installer information and signature (when required).
(7) Certified tank inspector information and signature for certain classes of tanks addressed in § 245.21 (relating to tank handling and inspection requirements).
(8) Trained underground storage tank operator information, as required under § 245.436 (relating to operator training).
(9) Other applicable information that may be required by the Department.
(d) The owners registration form shall also serve as an operating permit application. The Department may register a tank and not approve an operating permit for the tank if the application, tank system or the storage tank facility does not meet the requirements in this chapter or the permit applicant is in violation of the act. The Department will automatically withhold or withdraw the operating permit for a storage tank that is reported on the registration form in temporary removal from service (out-of-service) status. Tank owners may not store, dispense from or place a regulated substance in a storage tank that does not have an operating permit unless otherwise agreed upon by the Department. Additionally, certain classes of tanks require a site-specific installation permit prior to beginning construction of a new or replacement storage tank in accordance with Subchapter C (relating to permitting of underground and aboveground storage tank systems and facilities). Submission of a site-specific installation permit application is a separate requirement for these tanks that is not satisfied by the registration form submission.
(e) A combination of tanks that operate as a single unit require registration of each tank unless otherwise agreed upon by the Department. A tank that has separate compartments within the tank shall be registered separately and charged a separate tank fee for each compartment unless the compartments are connected in a manner that fills, dispenses and operates as a single unit maintaining the same regulated substance at the same operating level in each compartment.
(f) Tank owners shall submit a registration form to amend registration information previously submitted to the Department within 30 days of a change in the previously submitted information. These changes include the following:
(1) Removal or relocation of a storage tank to a new facility.
(2) Temporary or permanent closure or removal from service of a storage tank.
(3) Change in use of a storage tank to or from regulated or nonregulated status, for example, changing a storage tank to use as a process vessel.
(4) Change in substance or substances stored in the tank, unless otherwise agreed upon by the Department.
(5) Change of ownership or change of operator.
(6) Change of contact, mailing address or telephone number.
(7) Installation of a new or replacement storage tank at an existing facility.
(g) The Department may require submission of supporting documentation and process information for exemption or exclusion from regulation for a tank change in status or use from a regulated to a nonregulated status.
(h) Beginning October 24, 1988, a person who sells a tank intended to be used as a regulated storage tank or a property containing an existing regulated storage tank shall notify the purchaser, in writing, of an owners obligations under this section.
The provisions of this § 245.41 adopted November 9, 2007, effective November 10, 2007, 37 Pa.B. 5979; amended December 21, 2018, effective December 22, 2018, 48 Pa.B. 7875. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (331003) to (331005).
This section cited in 25 Pa. Code § 245.42 (relating to tank registration fees); 25 Pa. Code § 245.203 (relating to general requirements for permits); 25 Pa. Code § 245.421 (relating to performance standards for underground storage tank systems); 25 Pa. Code § 245.435 (relating to reporting and recordkeeping); and 25 Pa. Code § 245.451 (relating to temporary removal from service (out-of-service).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.