§ 272.422. Municipal ordinance.
(a) The ordinance or regulation adopted by the governing body of the municipality shall contain the following requirements:
(1) Persons shall separate at least three materials from municipal waste generated at their homes, apartments and other residential establishments, and shall store the materials until collection. The three materials shall be designated in the ordinance, and shall be chosen from the following: clear glass, colored glass, aluminum, steel and bimetallic cans, high-grade office paper, newsprint, corrugated paper and plastics.
(2) Persons shall separate leaf waste from municipal waste generated at their homes, apartments and other residential establishments until collection, unless those persons have otherwise provided for the composting of leaf waste.
(3) Persons shall separate high grade office paper, aluminum, corrugated paper and leaf waste generated at commercial, municipal or institutional establishments and from community activities, and store the materials until collection. The ordinance may designate additional materials for recycling.
(b) The ordinance shall allow an owner, landlord or agent of an owner or landlord of multifamily rental housing properties with four or more units to comply with its responsibilities under this subchapter by establishing a collection system for recyclable materials at each property. The collection system shall include suitable containers for collecting and sorting materials, easily accessible locations for the containers and written instructions to the occupants concerning the use and availability of the collection system. Owners, landlords and agents of owners or landlords who comply with the ordinance under this subsection are not liable for the noncompliance of occupants of their buildings.
(c) The ordinance shall exempt persons occupying commercial, institutional and municipal establishments within its municipal boundaries from the ordinance if the following requirements are met:
(1) The persons have otherwise provided for the recycling of materials that they are required by this subchapter and the ordinance to recycle.
(2) The persons annually provide written documentation to the municipality of the amount of municipal waste generated as well as the type and weight of materials that were recycled in the previous calendar year.
(d) Nothing in the ordinance or regulation may impair the ownership of separated materials by the persons who generated them until separated materials are placed at curbside or similar location for collection by the municipality or its agents.
The provisions of this § 272.422 adopted October 9, 1992, effective October 10, 1992, 22 Pa.B. 5105.
This section cited in 25 Pa. Code § 272.421 (relating to program elements).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.