§ 78.52. Predrilling or prealteration survey.
(a) A well operator who wishes to preserve its defense under section 208(d)(1) of the act (58 P. S. § 601.208 (d)(1)) that the pollution of a water supply existed prior to the drilling or alteration of the well shall conduct a predrilling or prealteration survey in accordance with this section.
(b) A person who wishes to document the quality of a water supply to support a future claim that the drilling or alteration of the well affected the water supply by pollution may conduct a predrilling or prealteration survey in accordance with this section.
(c) The survey shall be conducted by an independent certified laboratory. A person independent of the well owner or well operator, other than an employee of the certified laboratory, may collect the sample and document the condition of the water supply, if the certified laboratory affirms that the sampling and documentation is performed in accordance with the laboratorys approved sample collection, preservation and handling procedure and chain of custody.
(d) An operator electing to preserve its defenses under section 208(d)(1) of the act shall provide a copy of the results of the survey to the Department and the landowner or water purveyor within 10-business days of receipt of the results. Test results not received by the Department within 10 business days may not be used to preserve the operators defenses under section 208(d)(1) of the act.
(e) The report describing the results of the survey must contain the following information:
(1) The location of the water supply and the name of the surface landowner or water purveyor.
(2) The date of the survey, and the name of the certified laboratory and the person who conducted the survey.
(3) A description of where and how the sample was collected.
(4) A description of the type and age, if known, of the water supply, and treatment, if any.
(5) The name of the well operator, name and number of well to be drilled and permit number if known.
(6) The results of the laboratory analysis.
(f) A well operator who wishes to preserve the defense under section 208(d)(2) of the act that the landowner or water purveyor refused the operator access to conduct a survey shall confirm the desire to conduct this survey and that access was refused by issuing notice to the person by certified mail, or otherwise document that access was refused. The notice must include the following:
(1) The operators intention to drill or alter a well.
(2) The desire to conduct a predrilling or prealteration survey.
(3) The name of the person who requested and was refused access to conduct the survey and the date of the request and refusal.
(4) The name and address of the well operator and the address of the Department, to which the water purveyor or landowner may respond.
The provisions of this § 78.52 adopted July 28, 1989, effective July 29, 1989, 19 Pa.B. 3229; amended March 6, 1998, effective March 7, 1998, 28 Pa.B. 1234; amended January 27, 2006, effective January 28, 2006, 36 Pa.B. 465; amended February 4, 2011, effective February 5, 2011, 41 Pa.B. 805. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (317133) to (317134).
This section cited in 25 Pa. Code § 78.141 (relating to scope).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.