§ 403.62. Permit requirements and exemptions.
(a) An owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a residential building or erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace an electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system regulated by the Uniform Construction Code shall first apply to the building code official and obtain the required permit under § 403.62a (relating to permit application).
(b) An emergency repair or replacement of equipment may be made without first applying for a permit if a permit application is submitted to the building code official within 3 business days of the repair or replacement.
(c) A permit is not required for the exceptions listed in § 403.1(b) (relating to scope) and the following, if the work does not violate a law or ordinance:
(1) Fences that are no more than 6 feet high.
(2) Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the lowest level of grade to the top of the wall unless the wall supports a surcharge.
(3) Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.
(4) Sidewalks and driveways that are 30 inches or less above adjacent grade and not placed over a basement or story below it.
(5) Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches deep.
(6) Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one- or two-family dwelling.
(7) Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not 'project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
(8) Installation of an uncovered deck where the floor of the deck is no more than 30 inches above grade.
(9) Installation or rearrangement of communications wiring.
(d) An ordinary repair does not require a permit. The following are not ordinary repairs:
(1) Cutting away a load-bearing wall, partition or portion of a wall.
(2) The removal or cutting of any structural beam or load-bearing support.
(3) The removal or change of any required means of egress, or rearrangement of parts of a structure affecting the egress requirements.
(4) The addition to, or relocation of any standpipe, water supply, sewer, drainage, drain leader, gas, soil, waste, vent or similar piping, electric wiring or mechanical.
(e) A permit is not required for the installation, alteration or repair of generation, transmission, distribution, metering or other related equipment under the ownership and control of public service agencies.
The provisions of this § 403.62 amended December 15, 2006, effective December 31, 2006, 36 Pa.B. 7548; amended December 24, 2009, effective December 31, 2009, 39 Pa.B. 7196. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (323807) to (323808).
This section cited in 34 Pa. Code § 403.61 (relating to residential buildings); 34 Pa. Code § 403.62a (relating to permit application); 34 Pa. Code § 403.102 (relating to municipalities electing to enforce the Uniform Construction Code); and 34 Pa. Code § 403.103 (relating to municipalities electing not to enforce the Uniform Construction Code).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.