§ 21.134. Continuing education sources.
(a) The following continuing education activities that meet the requirements of § 21.133 (relating to continuing education content) for registered nurses are approved:
(1) Activities sponsored by a Board-approved practical or professional nursing program or a Nationally accredited graduate nursing program.
(2) Activities sponsored by an accredited professional nursing, CRNP, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, Clinical Nurse Specialist or Nurse Midwifery education program.
(3) Activities sponsored by accredited hospitals and health care facilities.
(4) Activities sponsored by hospitals and health care facilities licensed by the Department of Health or the Department of Public Welfare.
(5) Activities sponsored by regionally-accredited institutions of higher education.
(6) Activities sponsored by National nursing, medical, osteopathic and other health care professional organizations and their state and regional affiliates.
(7) Activities sponsored by National trade organizations, associations and their affiliated groups and state and regional affiliates.
(8) Activities approved by National nursing, risk management, health care quality and patient safety organizations.
(9) Activities sponsored by Federal and state agencies.
(10) Activities approved by a Board in another jurisdiction.
(b) The Board may approve other sources of continuing education on a case-by-case basis after the provider or registered nurse seeking approval submits the following:
(1) Full name and address of the provider.
(2) Title of the activity.
(3) Date and location of the activity.
(4) Faculty qualifications.
(5) Schedule of the activity, including, for activities with multiple presenters, the title of each subject, lecturer and time allotted.
(6) Hours of continuing education.
(7) Method of certifying and assuring attendance, and draft of certificate of attendance to be provided to course participants, as applicable.
(8) Course objectives.
(10) Target audience.
(11) Program coordinator.
(12) Instruction methods.
(13) Evaluation methods, including participant evaluation and activity evaluation.
(14) Other information requested in writing by the Board.
(c) Requests for approval of a continuing education activity under subsection (b) shall be submitted at least 90 days prior to commencement of the activity and shall be accompanied by the fee in § 21.5 (relating to fees).
(d) Upon approval of a continuing education activity under subsection (b), the Board will determine the number of continuing education hours awarded for the activity.
(e) A separate application and fee, as set forth in § 21.5, shall be submitted whenever a change is made to information submitted under subsection (b), except for information related to a change in date or location, or both, of the activity under subsection (b)(3).
(f) A continuing education provider shall award a certificate of attendance to professional nurses who complete the continuing education activity. The certificate must contain the information listed in subsection (b)(1)(3) and (6) and the name of the individual to whom the certificate is awarded.
(g) Distance learning continuing education is acceptable for completion of all 30 continuing education hours required for license renewal.
The provisions of this § 21.134 issued under sections 2.1(k) and 12.1 of The Professional Nursing Law (63 P.S. § § 212.1(k) and 222); amended under sections 2.1(k) and 12.1(a) of The Professional Nursing Law (63 P.S. § § 212.1(k) and 222(a)).
The provisions of this § 21.134 adopted July 11, 2008, effective July 12, 2008, 38 Pa.B. 3796; amended October 16, 2015, effective October 17, 2015, 45 Pa.B. 6196. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (335539) to (335540) and (363467).
This section cited in 49 Pa. Code § 21.5 (relating to fees); and 49 Pa. Code § 21.29 (relating to expiration and renewal of license).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.