§ 2600.202. Prohibitions.
The following procedures are prohibited:
(1) Seclusion, defined as involuntary confinement of a resident in a room from which the resident is physically prevented from leaving, is prohibited. This does not include the admission of a resident in a secured dementia care unit in accordance with § 2600.231 (relating to admission).
(2) Aversive conditioning, defined as the application of startling, painful or noxious stimuli, is prohibited.
(3) Pressure point techniques, defined as the application of pain for the purpose of achieving compliance, is prohibited.
(4) A chemical restraint, defined as use of drugs or chemicals for the specific and exclusive purpose of controlling acute or episodic aggressive behavior, is prohibited. A chemical restraint does not include a drug ordered by a physician or dentist to treat the symptoms of a specific mental, emotional or behavioral condition, or as pretreatment prior to a medical or dental examination or treatment.
(5) A mechanical restraint, defined as a device that restricts the movement or function of a resident or portion of a residents body, is prohibited. Mechanical restraints include geriatric chairs, handcuffs, anklets, wristlets, camisoles, helmet with fasteners, muffs and mitts with fasteners, poseys, waist straps, head straps, papoose boards, restraining sheets, chest restraints and other types of locked restraints. A mechanical restraint does not include a device used to provide support for the achievement of functional body position or proper balance that has been prescribed by a medical professional as long as the resident can easily remove the device.
(6) A manual restraint, defined as a hands-on physical means that restricts, immobilizes or reduces a residents ability to move his arms, legs, head or other body parts freely, is prohibited. A manual restraint does not include prompting, escorting or guiding a resident to assist in the ADLs or IADLs.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.