§ 2800.182. Medication administration.
(a) A residence shall provide medication administration services for a resident who is assessed to need medication administration services in accordance with § 2800.181 (relating to self-administration) and for a resident who chooses not to self-administer medications.
(b) Prescription medication that is not self-administered by a resident shall be administered by one of the following:
(1) A physician, licensed dentist, licensed physicians assistant, RN, certified registered nurse practitioner, LPN or licensed paramedic.
(2) A graduate of an approved nursing program functioning under the direct supervision of a professional nurse who is present in the residence.
(3) A student nurse of an approved nursing program functioning under the direct supervision of a member of the nursing school faculty who is present in the residence.
(4) A staff person who has completed the medication administration training as specified in § 2800.190 (relating to medication administration training) for the administration of oral; topical; eye, nose and ear drop prescription medications; insulin injections and epinephrine injections for insect bites or other allergies.
(c) Medication administration includes the following activities, based on the needs of the resident:
(1) Identify the correct resident.
(2) If indicated by the prescribers orders, measure vital signs and administer medications accordingly.
(3) Remove the medication from the original container.
(4) Crush or split the medication as ordered by the prescriber.
(5) Place the medication in a medication cup or other appropriate container, or in the residents hand.
(6) Place the medication in the residents hand, mouth or other route as ordered by the prescriber, in accordance with the limitations specified in subsection (b)(4).
(7) Complete documentation in accordance with § 2800.187 (relating to medication records).
This section cited in 55 Pa. code § 2800.220 (relating to service provision).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.