§ 2800.185. Accountability of medication and controlled substances.
(a) The residence shall develop and implement procedures for the safe storage, access, security, distribution and use of medications and medical equipment by trained staff persons.
(b) At a minimum, the procedures must include:
(1) Documentation of the receipt of controlled substances and prescription medications.
(2) A process to investigate and account for missing medications and medication errors.
(3) Limited access to medication storage areas.
(4) Documentation of the administration of prescription medications, OTC medications and CAM for residents who receive medication administration services or assistance with self-administration. This requirement does not apply to a resident who self-administers medication without the assistance of a staff person and stores the medication in his living unit.
(5) To the extent indicated in the residents support plan, the residence shall obtain prescribed medication for residents and keep an adequate supply of resident medication on hand at all times.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.