§ 3290.31. Age and training.
(a) The operator shall have the following qualifications:
(1) Be 18 years of age or older.
(2) Have a high school diploma or a general educational development certificate and submit proof to the appropriate regional office of the Department at the time of registration renewal.
(b) Staff persons shall be 18 years of age or older.
(c) A volunteer shall be 16 years of age or older. A volunteer shall be directly supervised at all times by a staff person.
(d) An individual 16 years of age or older who is enrolled in an approved training curriculum may be used as a staff person, if the following guidelines are met:
(1) The curriculum is conducted by an institution approved by the Department of Education and accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education or the Council on Post-secondary accreditation and acceptable to the Department of Education.
(2) The curriculum includes acceptable training topics referenced in subsection (f)(2).
(3) The curriculum includes a minimum total of 600 clock hours, distributed as follows:
(i) A minimum of 400 clock hours of classroom training.
(ii) A minimum of 200 clock hours of supervised training in a child day care facility.
(4) A representative of the training institution certifies in writing that the individual has completed the required classroom training and is currently enrolled in the curriculum.
(5) The written certification required in paragraph (4) shall be retained in the staff file at the facility.
(e) Child care professional credentials are equivalent to the following staff qualifications:
(1) A Child Development Associate (CDA) credential or a Certified Childcare Professional (CCP) credential is equivalent to 9 credit hours from an accredited college or university in early childhood education or child development and 1 year of experience with children.
(2) A Pennsylvania school-age professional credential is equivalent to 9 credit hours from an accredited college or university in elementary education or child development and 1 year experience with children.
(f) A staff person shall obtain a biennial minimum of 12 clock hours of child care training.
(1) Acceptable training is conducted in one or more of the following settings:
(i) By a secondary or postsecondary institution approved by the Department of Education and accredited by an accrediting agency recognized by the United States Department of Education or the Council on Postsecondary Accreditation and acceptable to the Department of Education.
(ii) By an entity that is licensed or certified professionally competent in the training topic.
(iii) In conferences or workshops.
(iv) With audio-visual materials recognized by child care professionals.
(2) Acceptable training topics include the following:
(i) Child or staff health.
(ii) Child development, early childhood education and special education.
(iii) Supervision, discipline and guidance of children.
(iv) Nutrition for children.
(v) Child care program development.
(vi) Child care staff person or volunteer professional development.
(3) Other training topics may be submitted for the Departments review and approval.
(4) Depending on the provisions of the appropriate regulation, training may be required for certain staff. The following constitutes competence in training areas as follows:
(i) First-aid training. Competence is completion of training by a professional in the field of first-aid. First-aid training shall be renewed on or before expiration of certification or every 3 years, as applicable.
(ii) Lifeguard training. Competence is completion of lifeguard training, including first-aid training and cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) for child and infant.
(iii) Water safety instruction. Competence is completion of basic instruction in water safety from a certified lifeguard.
(g) Completion of training shall be documented by the signature and title of a representative of the training entity and shall include the date training was completed. Documentation shall be retained in the facility persons file.
The provisions of this § 3290.31 amended under Articles IX and X of the Public Welfare Code (62 P. S. § § 901922 and 10011087).
The provisions of this § 3290.31 amended May 23, 2008, effective September 22, 2008, 38 Pa.B. 2437. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (302124) to (302126) and (312283).
This section cited in 55 Pa. Code § 3290.115 (relating to water activity).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.