§ 31.33. Prebuilt housing.
(a) Definitions. The following words and terms, when used in this section, have the following meanings, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise:
Prebuilt housingHousing which qualifies either as:
(i) Manufactured housing, including mobile homes, which bears the label required by and referred to in the Manufactured Housing Construction and Safety Standards Authorization Act (35 P. S. § § 1656.11656.9).
(ii) Industrialized housing as defined in the Industrialized Housing Act (35 P. S. § § 1651.11651.12).
(iii) The term includes all components or accessories transferred at the time of the sale of the prebuilt housing.
Prebuilt housing builderA person, including a prebuilt housing manufacturer, that makes a prebuilt housing sale to a prebuilt housing purchaser.
Prebuilt housing manufacturerA person who manufactures prebuilt housing for sale to a prebuilt housing builder or prebuilt housing purchaser.
Prebuilt housing manufacturers selling price
(i) The total value of anything paid or delivered or promised to be paid or delivered, whether it be money or otherwise, by a prebuilt housing builder to a prebuilt housing manufacturer, for prebuilt housing, add-ons, insurance, seals, deposits, dues, optional equipment and similar charges whether or not the charges are separately stated on one or more purchase agreements.
(ii) The prebuilt housing manufacturers selling price does not include amounts representing delivery charges, erection charges or set-up fees.
Prebuilt housing purchaserA person who purchases prebuilt housing in a transaction and who intends to occupy the unit for residential purposes in this Commonwealth.
Prebuilt housing saleA sale of prebuilt housing to a prebuilt housing purchaser, including a sale to a landlord, without regard to whether the person making the sale is responsible for installing the prebuilt housing or whether the prebuilt housing becomes real estate on installation. Temporary installation by a prebuilt housing builder for display purposes of a unit held for resale will not be considered occupancy for residential purposes.
Purchase priceThe purchase price of prebuilt housing shall be 60% of the prebuilt housing manufacturers selling price. A prebuilt housing manufacturer of prebuilt housing that elects to precollect tax from the prebuilt housing builder shall have the option to collect tax on 60% of the prebuilt housing manufacturers selling price or on 100% of the actual cost of the supplies and materials used in the manufacture of prebuilt housing.
Used prebuilt housingPrebuilt housing that was previously subject to a prebuilt housing sale to a prebuilt housing purchaser.
(b) Imposition of tax.
(1) Prebuilt housing builder sales. A prebuilt housing builder is required to pay tax on his purchase price of prebuilt housing sold to a prebuilt housing purchaser within this Commonwealth, if the prebuilt housing builder has not paid the applicable tax to the prebuilt housing manufacturer. The prebuilt housing builder is required to pay tax without regard to whether the prebuilt housing is sold as tangible personal property or as real estate. The prebuilt housing builders written contract with the prebuilt housing purchaser shall clearly indicate that the prebuilt housing builder paid applicable tax.
(2) Trade-in. The value of a trade-in by a prebuilt housing purchaser to a prebuilt housing builder in connection with the purchase of housing may not be used to reduce the purchase price on which the prebuilt housing builder is required to pay tax.
(3) Used prebuilt housing. Sales Tax is not imposed on the purchase price of used prebuilt housing.
(c) Prebuilt housing manufacturers election to collect tax.
(1) Although section 202(f) of the TRC (72 P. S. § 7202(f)) requires the prebuilt housing builder to pay tax directly to the Department, this statute also provides that the prebuilt housing manufacturer has the option to collect tax from the prebuilt housing builder at the time of the purchase of the prebuilt housing by the prebuilt housing builder from the prebuilt housing manufacturer. If the prebuilt housing manufacturer elects to collect tax, the prebuilt housing manufacturer is required to use either of the following to establish the purchase price:
(i) Sixty percent of the prebuilt housing manufacturers selling price.
(ii) One hundred percent of the actual cost of the supplies and materials used in the manufacture of prebuilt housing.
(2) If a prebuilt housing manufacturer is also acting as a prebuilt housing builder, the purchase price of the prebuilt housing shall be 60% of the prebuilt housing manufacturers selling price.
(3) A prebuilt housing manufacturer is not permitted to alternate between these two methods of calculation without prior written notification to the Director of the Departments Bureau of Audits.
(d) Exemptions. No exemptions apply to the sale of prebuilt housing. Prebuilt housing manufacturers are therefore not required to obtain exemption certificates from prebuilt housing builders. Unless the prebuilt housing manufacturer elects to precollect the tax, the prebuilt housing builder is obligated to remit tax to the Commonwealth on its sale of prebuilt housing to a prebuilt housing purchaser.
(e) Prefabricated buildings and components which do not qualify as prebuilt housing. The sale and installation of prefabricated buildings, components and accessories which do not qualify as prebuilt housing are governed by § 31.12 (relating to imposition of tax). Sales of prefabricated buildings, components and accessories, which do not include installation, qualify as sales of tangible personal property. Examples include construction site trailers, travel trailers and modular space units.
(f) Repair and maintenance of prebuilt housing. This section relates only to prebuilt housing sales and does not apply to the repair and maintenance of prebuilt housing. The application of tax on charges made for the repair and maintenance of prebuilt housing is governed by of § 31.12.
The provisions of this § 31.33 issued under section 270 of the Tax Reform Code (72 P. S. § 7270).
The provisions of this § 31.33 adopted May 26, 2006, effective May 27, 2006, 36 Pa.B. 2525.
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.