§ 187.3. General conditions.
The following conditions shall apply to special vehicles moving upon State highways:
(1) Movement upon certain highways restricted. Restrictions shall be as follows:
(i) A special vehicle shall not be operated on any freeway without a permit. Issuance of a permit is conditioned upon the ability of the special vehicle to maintain the minimum posted speed limit along a freeway.
(ii) A special vehicle shall not exceed any weight limit posted on a bridge or highway under authority of 75 Pa.C.S. § 4902; however, persons may apply to the Department or local authorities, whichever is responsible for the posting, for a permit to exceed the posted weight. The Department or local authorities may require such undertaking or security as they deem necessary to cover the cost of repairs and restoration necessitated by the movement.
(2) Movement during inclement weather prohibited. A special vehicle shall not be operated on any State highway during unfavorable weather or road conditions. For the purpose of this chapter, unfavorable weather or road conditions shall include:
(i) Snow covered highways or shoulders.
(ii) Icy pavement, until the highway has been cindered or salted.
(iii) Driving rain, fog, snow storm, or other atmospheric conditions which restrict visibility to less than 1,000 feet.
(3) Movement during certain holiday periods prohibited. A special vehicle shall not be operated on any State highway during the following holidays, except in an emergency requiring immediate movement for protection of life or property:
(i) New Years DayJanuary 1.
(ii) Memorial Daylast Monday in May.
(iii) Independence DayJuly 4.
(iv) Labor Dayfirst Monday in September.
(v) Thanksgiving Dayfourth Thursday in November.
(vi) Christmas DayDecember 25.
(4) Movement during certain hours prohibited. Movement during certain hours shall be prohibited as follows:
(i) A special vehicle shall not be operated on any State highway from sunset to sunrise under any circumstances.
(ii) A special vehicle shall not be operated on any State highway in an urbanized area from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. nor from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Urbanized area maps are available at Department permit offices.
(5) Other requirements. A special vehicle shall comply with all applicable requirements of the Vehicle Code and this title, including, but not limited to, 75 Pa.C.S. § 4529 (relating to slow moving vehicle emblem); 75 Pa.C.S. § 4303 and § 175.122 (relating to general requirements); 75 Pa.C.S. § 4502 and § 175.62 (relating to general requirements for braking systems); and 75 Pa.C.S. § 4921 (relating to limitations on operation of special vehicles).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.