§ 255.5a. Decentralized service program.
(a) Decentralized service agent. A messenger service may participate in the decentralized service program by obtaining authorization from the Bureau to issue on behalf of the Department to qualified applicants temporary learners permits, vehicle registration renewals, driver license renewals and other specified items. To obtain authorization as a decentralized service agent, a messenger service agent shall agree to handle decentralized service program forms in the manner outlined in subsection (b).
(b) Decentralized service forms. A messenger service which participates in the decentralized service program is responsible for obtaining and handling decentralized service forms as follows:
(1) Department to provide. Decentralized service forms will be provided by the Bureau through its Messenger Service Center to decentralized service agents.
(2) Request for Departmental forms. A decentralized service agent shall request decentralized service forms in a manner specified by the Department. Authorization shall be given in writing by the owner of the messenger service for an employe to receive completed orders of the forms. The completed order shall be signed for by the owner of the messenger service or the authorized employe of the messenger service, who shall present proper identification as issued by the Department.
(3) Lost or stolen Departmental forms. In the event that decentralized service forms are lost or stolen, the decentralized service agent shall report the occurrence to the Department within 48 hours after the agents discovery of the loss or theft of the forms.
(4) Mutilated Departmental forms. In the event that a decentralized service form is mutilated by the decentralized service agent, the agent shall apply for replacement of the document on forms provided by the Department. Copies of the form shall be returned to the Department in order for the agent to receive a replacement.
(5) Invalid Departmental forms. In the event that a decentralized service form is deemed invalid due to defect or an error on the part of the Department, the decentralized service agent shall apply for a replacement of the document on forms provided by the Department. Copies of the defective form shall be returned to the Department with the application for replacement.
(6) Issuance of forms. Decentralized service forms shall be issued in numerical sequence by control number. The agent shall obtain permission for the Bureau in the manner prescribed, to issue the forms, in those cases where prior permission is required by the Department.
(7) Submission of applications. Decentralized service agents shall submit the appropriate copy of a form used for decentralized services to the Messenger Service Center of the Bureau within 5 days of the date of issuance to an applicant.
(8) Identification and other documentation. Decentralized service agents shall require that an applicant present proper identification and other documentation as required by the Departments operating procedures for decentralized services, before issuing a decentralized service form.
(9) Maintenance of copies of forms. Decentralized service agents shall maintain copies of all decentralized service forms issued to customers and of all related documents submitted to the Department for at least 2 years from the date of issuance. These records are to be maintained in numerical sequence by form control number at the office where the form was issued.
The provisions of this § 255.5a issued under the Vehicle Code, 75 Pa.C.S. § § 6103 and 7501(a).
The provisions of this § 255.5a adopted May 4, 1984, effective May 21, 1984, 14 Pa.B. 1561; readopted May 26, 1989, effective immediately and applies retroactively to May 5, 1989, 19 Pa.B. 2253. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (90324) to (90325).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.