§ 43.12. Use of temporary registration plate.
(a) Applicability. This section pertains to the use of a temporary registration plate by the person to whom it was issued.
(b) Temporary registration plate nontransferable. Temporary registration plates may not be transferred from one vehicle to another. If a person purchases another vehicle before receiving the regular registration card from the Bureau, the person shall wait until receipt of the regular registration card and then transfer the registration plate in the usual manner.
(c) Expiration of temporary registration plates. Temporary registration plates shall expire as follows:
(1) Rules pertaining to cardboard plates.
(i) A cardboard temporary registration plate shall expire and become void upon the occurrence of one of the following:
(A) Issuance of registration from another state.
(B) Rescission of a contract to purchase a vehicle.
(C) Expiration of 30 days from the date of issuance.
(ii) Upon expiration of a cardboard temporary registration plate, the person to whom it was issued shall destroy it.
(2) Rules pertaining to metal plates. A metal temporary registration plate may not be used after the expiration of 60 days from the date of issuance of the temporary card and plate until the registrant receives a regular registration card from the Bureau.
(d) Use of temporary registration plates on vehicles transporting a load. Vehicles transporting a load shall comply with the following:
(1) Temporary metal registration plates may be used on a vehicle transporting a load if the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,000 pounds or less and the vehicle and load have a gross weight of 26,000 pounds or less.
(2) Temporary metal registration plates may not be used on a vehicle transporting a load, if the vehicle has a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of 26,000 pounds or the vehicle and load have a gross weight in excess of 26,000 pounds, unless the vehicle is operating only within this Commonwealth or through jurisdictions which are not members of the International Registration Plan.
(3) Temporary cardboard registration plates may not be used on a commercial vehicle transporting a load.
(e) Prosecution. A person who violates subsection (c) shall be subject to prosecution under 75 Pa.C.S. § 1301 (relating to driving unregistered vehicle prohibited).
The provisions of this § 43.12 adopted March 24, 1978, effective March 25, 1978, 8 Pa.B. 790; amended November 16, 1984, effective November 17, 1984, 14 Pa. B. 4169; readopted January 5, 1990, effective immediately to November 17, 1989, 20 Pa.B. 21; amended November 27, 1998, effective November 28, 1998, 28 Pa.B. 5872; corrected December 11, 1998, effective November 28, 1998, 28 Pa.B. 6082. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (240815) to (240816).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.