§ 43.6. Issuance of temporary registration plates.
(a) Limits on issuance. Temporary registration plates will be issued in the following manner:
(1) Temporary registration plates other than those specified in paragraph (4) will be issued only by the Bureau, approved governmental agencies, dealers, manufacturers and full agents authorized by the Bureau.
(2) Temporary registration plates shall be issued only in conjunction with an application for title and registration of a vehicle within this Commonwealth or for the purpose of driving or otherwise moving a vehicle purchased in this Commonwealth to another state or country for titling, registration, use or resale there.
(3) Notwithstanding paragraphs (1) and (2), a full agent who is also an authorized messenger service under Chapter 255 (relating to messenger services), may issue a temporary registration plate in one of the following circumstances after receiving authorization from the Department indicating the vehicle record is clear of a suspension or other impediment to issuance of the registration plate:
(i) For a vehicle for which the applicant already has a Pennsylvania certificate of title.
(ii) To a person who is applying for replacement of a lost, stolen or defaced registration plate.
(iii) For a vehicle for which the applicant has an out-of-State title and registration, but is also required to be registered, but not titled, in this Commonwealth.
(4) Temporary registration plates for reconstructed and specially constructed vehicles will be issued only by the Bureau.
(b) Issuance at other locations. The Department may provide written authorization for individual dealers, manufacturers or full agents to issue temporary registration plates at a location other than the places of business of the dealer, manufacturer or full agent for a period not to exceed 1 year. The privilege to issue temporary registration plates from a location other than the designated dealer, manufacturer or full agents place of business is revocable if the Department finds that the dealer, manufacturer or full agent has violated this chapter or the terms of the written authorization.
(c) Obtaining temporary registration plates. Temporary registration plates shall be obtained by submitting the appropriate form and paying the applicable fee to the Bureau.
(d) Issuance of temporary registration card in conjunction with issuance of temporary registration plates. Upon the issuance of a temporary registration plate, the authorized dealer, full agent or manufacturer shall issue a temporary registration card, in the manner prescribed on forms provided by the Department and in § 43.5 (relating to issuance of temporary registration cards).
(1) The number of the temporary registration plate shall be indicated on the temporary registration card.
(2) If the vehicle is not to be titled in this Commonwealth, it shall be noted on the temporary registration card.
(e) Issuance of temporary registration plates. Temporary registration plates shall be issued in consecutive order, beginning with the lowest number in each series.
(f) Issuance of cardboard temporary registration plates. Upon issuance of a cardboard temporary registration plate, the authorized dealer, manufacturer or full agent shall punch out the month, day and year of expiration at the space provided and shall record the following information clearly and indelibly on the face of the temporary plate:
(1) The date of issuance.
(2) The year, make and model of vehicle.
(3) The vehicle identification number.
(4) The identification number of the authorized dealer, manufacturer or full agent.
(g) Fee charged. The fee charged for providing an applicant with a temporary plate may not exceed:
(1) Ten dollars if the plate was obtained from the Department for a fee of $5.
(2) Five dollars if the plate was obtained from the Department for a fee of $1.
The provisions of this § 43.6 adopted September 2, 1977, effective September 3, 1977, 7 Pa.B. 2561; amended May 18, 1979, effective May 19, 1979, 9 Pa.B. 1630; readopted January 5, 1990, effective immediately and apply retroactively to November 17, 1989, 20 Pa.B. 21; amended July 9, 1993, effective July 10, 1993, 23 Pa.B. 3347; amended November 27, 1998, effective November 28, 1998, 28 Pa.B. 5872. Immediately preceding text appears at serial pages (232791) to (232793).
This section cited in 67 Pa. Code § 43.10 (relating to prohibited acts); and 67 Pa. Code § 97.3 (relating to vehicle registration).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.