§ 69.3. Issuance of temporary weight increase registration permits.
(a) General rule. A temporary weight increase registration permit will be issued in the following manner:
(1) A permit will be issued only by the Bureau or by agents authorized by the Bureau.
(2) A permit will be issued only for vehicles currently registered in this Commonwealth.
(3) A permit shall be issued by a fleet owner only for vehicles registered in the fleet owners name.
(4) A permit shall be issued in accordance with instructions contained on the application, and may not be issued for gross weights in excess of that authorized by statute.
(b) Obtaining temporary weight increase registration permits. An agent may obtain temporary weight increase registration permits at offices of the Bureau in lots of ten by submitting the proper forms and paying $2 per permit to the Bureau.
(c) Duty to examine documents. The duty to examine documents includes the following:
(1) Before issuing a temporary weight increase registration permit, the agent shall examine the documents and data necessary to the weight increase transaction and the current registration card.
(2) No temporary weight increase registration permit will be issued unless the following items are found to be in order:
(i) The application shall be properly executed, as required, accompanied by the correct fees, taxes and other required forms or documents.
(ii) The registration card shall be valid with current registered gross weight or registered combination gross weight indicated.
(d) Preparation of application. The agent shall complete in ink or with typewriter the application for registered weight increase. The application shall list the name and identification number of the agent.
(e) Copies of temporary weight increase registration permits. Copies of the temporary weight increase registration permits shall be handled as follows:
(1) The original copy of the temporary weight increase registration permit and the documents and fees necessary to the transaction shall be forwarded by the agent to the Bureau within 5 days.
(2) The applicants copy of the temporary weight increase registration permit shall be given to the applicant, for possession by the driver of the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on the highway under the permit.
(3) The agents copy of the temporary weight increase registration permit and copies of related documents shall be retained at the place of business of the agent for at least 3 years for inspection only by police and authorized representatives of the Department. Permit records shall be kept in sequential order according to permit number.
(f) No fee to be charged. No agent may charge a fee for issuing a temporary weight increase registration permit except that a fee for messenger service and the cost to the agent for the permit form may be charged the applicant.
(g) Issuance order. Temporary weight increase registration permits shall be issued in consecutive order, beginning with the lowest number in a set.
(h) Expiration of temporary weight increase registration permits. A temporary weight increase registration permit expires and becomes void upon the occurrence of one of the following:
(1) Receipt of the regular registration card from the Bureau.
(2) Expiration of 30 days from the date of issuance.
This section cited in 67 Pa. Code § 69.7 (relating to use of temporary weight increase permit).
No part of the information on this site may be reproduced for profit or sold for profit.
This material has been drawn directly from the official Pennsylvania Code full text database. Due to the limitations of HTML or differences in display capabilities of different browsers, this version may differ slightly from the official printed version.